Friday, February 16, 2007

A House Is Not a Home

Like a guest who has overstayed his welcome, cold weather has swept into New York and doesn't want to leave.
From howling winds to piles of snow, Mother Nature hasn't been kind to the northeastern U.S. for the past few weeks. When I wake up in the morning, I'm more likely to silence the alarm clock and crawl back into bed -- even though I'm not sleepy. And while my apartment receives heat, it never seems to be enough to calm the shivers running through my body. But as much as I hate winter, at least I have comfortable clothes, nutritious food, and a roof over my head to help me get through the season. Sadly, not everyone can lay claim to such basic necessities.
Homelessness is a complex problem that has no easy solutions. Turning a blind eye to this crisis is all but impossible, with thousands of impoverished people across the city roaming the streets and subways trying to survive as best they can. The harsh climate only serves to highlight their predicament, for each day in such conditions really is a matter of life and death.
As much as I want to help homeless people improve their situation, I rarely give them money because I don’t know how it’s going to be spent. (I'm also wary about contributing to charity because the money tends to be spent on overhead. I prefer to donate tangible goods, like clothing or food, or volunteer when I have the time.) What I do know is this country has the intellectual and financial resources to address this dilemma.
Affordable housing is an oxymoron, the education system is in shambles, and minimum wage is a joke. To make matters worse, all of these societal ailments play a role in homelessness perpetuating its vicious cycle. If America is truly the land of opportunity, the powers that be need to get serious about tackling this issue. Because the less fortunate don't want a handout, nor do they want to be looked upon with pity -- they just want a chance to be somebody.

1 comment:

Ol Geezer said...

Why worry about things you have no control over? With that said, I strongly oppose the war in Iraq. I have expressed my feelings to Senators Clinton and Schumer. Unfortunately, both senators voted to give Bush the power to invade Iraq, and now we are in an intractable mess with no resolution in sight.