Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Dance the Night Away


After weeks of denial, my conscience has forced me to come out of the closet: I watch Dancing With the Stars. (Oh, yeah, I'm a heterosexual, too.)
The appeal of watching a ballroom dancing contest that pairs celebrities with professionals lies in seeing the stars out of their element. Unlike most "reality" television shows, backstabbing skills are of no use in an environment where one has to learn routines like the foxtrot and waltz in a matter of days. As for photogenic looks, they're not a disadvantage ... but the competition boils down to how well the pair combines aesthetics and athleticism.
On that note, I think Laila Ali and Apolo Anton Ohno have the best chance at winning the mirror ball trophy this season. Part of me wants Ali to win because the other female celebrities didn't do well this time around (and no woman has ever won the contest, unless you count Kelly Monaco) ... but Ohno has been so consistent in his performances until this competition is his to lose.
These observations don't say much about the remaining contestants. Joey Fatone is doing well, but doesn't seem to be taking it seriously. Ian Ziering is at the other end of the spectrum, taking it so seriously until his self-consciousness overshadows his efforts. Billy Ray Cyrus has two wooden left feet, despite his sincere attempts to put his best foot forward. And while John Ratzenberger stepped up to the plate by replacing Vincent Pastore at the last minute, he's better off not stepping on the dance floor.
I applaud the celebrities for having the courage to venture out of their comfort zone, since "reality" television is too often associated with ordinary folks being put in contrived situations for the sake of entertainment. I used to be a fan of the genre, but lost interest when I figured out that most people who appeared on such programs were molded into one-dimensional stereotypes. (I reached this epiphany in 1996, while watching The Real World during its season in Miami.) As shows like Survivor rose in popularity, I became disenchanted with the emphasis that was placed on shock value.
If a glut of programming is to blame for the backlash against "reality" television, audience input is the key to its salvation. Allowing viewers to have a say in the outcome is guaranteed to bring in huge ratings, as American Idol has proven since its debut in 2002. But the best way to rejuvenate the genre is to focus more on shows that spotlight people who deserve their 15 minutes of fame and less on programs that pander to the lowest common denominator.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must say-----I have only watched the show a few times. It serves a purpose---in the sense that the stars are shown in a setting----out of their elements. I have found it amusing to watch the stars and see how they have mastered something---they probably had no interest in, before now. It's interesting tho, to see how skillful most master the task. Would I watch every episode---no--just once in a while----and depending on which star is participating that particular week. I think I would like to watch a show where the stars are in a reality based situation.