Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father Figure


Archie Bunker. Cliff Huxtable. Homer Simpson. These television icons have little in common, but they share a bond as members in the fraternity of fatherhood -- along with the man I call Pops.
Like those fictional characters, my father was a working-class man who always put family first. He took pride in playing an active role in his children's lives, and he inspired me and my three brothers to become productive members of society. In an environment where Black men are often pigeonholed as deadbeat dads, Pops' presence was instrumental in my evolution from a girl to a woman.
As the only daughter in the Davis household, I was the apple of my father's eye. I'd rummage through his closet looking for money -- usually pennies -- without consequence, and mock his status as patriarch by calling him 'Old Buzzard.' In return, he'd pinch my cheeks and address me as 'Subject.' My brothers thought I was a spoiled brat because I took certain liberties in my relationship with Pops, but the truth is he and I had such a close bond because we're both Capricorns.
Growing up, my father encouraged me to pursue my dreams -- even if he didn't share my passion for writing. And he didn't hesitate to offer me advice on navigating life's ups and downs -- even when his opinions were unsolicited. While Pops possessed many attributes, he wasn't without his shortcomings. His gruff demeanor made him a difficult person to please, and his stubbornness was at the root of many arguments between us. Nevertheless, I love him because I know he has my best interests at heart.
Relationships between men and women may be complicated, but the bond I share with my father is simple -- as in simply amazing. I can't think of a better way to spend the third Sunday of June than paying homage to Pops, for he's the most important male figure in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your reflection, sure "Pops" enjoyed it too. The pennies is priceless.

William

Sherlon Christie said...

That's a wonderful tribute to your father.