Monday, November 26, 2007

57 Channels (and Something's On)


Late-night talk show devotees may be concerned about the long-term impact of the strike launched by the Writers Guild of America on November 5 ... but they need not worry, for there are TV stations out there that offer plenty of unscripted drama -- with dashes of comedy thrown in for good measure. Two such examples are C-SPAN and The Weather Channel.
Not a day goes by when I don't tune in to see meteorologists like Jim Cantore report on climate conditions across the United States. The Weather Channel is my go-to source for information when a natural disaster occurs (my oldest brother lives in Florida, where many hurricanes tend to make landfall), and it's a treat to hear Dave Schwartz deliver the outdoor temperatures -- which dictate what I wear and what I do -- along with an occasional quip.
When I'm not tracking the weather, I'm following politics on C-SPAN. My favorite show is Prime Minister's Questions, where I get to see democracy in action as the House of Commons presses the British prime minister on issues of interest to their constituents. But the best part of the program is listening to Gordon Brown and David Cameron throw verbal jabs at each other, and having the speaker get in on the action is a bonus. (I preferred Betty Boothroyd's spitfire personality to Michael Martin's droll demeanor in governing the weekly sessions.)
Speaking of politics, money and egos are what's keeping television writers and studio executives apart in the negotiation process; they disagree on how online revenue should be shared between the two parties. As a fan of The Tonight Show With Jay Leno -- "Jaywalking" is my favorite segment -- I think both sides should try to reach an agreement as soon as possible. However, if the strike drags on indefinitely, I won't lose any sleep, for real life always makes for better entertainment.

No comments: